Well, we're approaching the halfway point of our Hawiian vacation. The weather has been incredible, high 70's everyday. Each day has found us at a new beach and the food has been oh so good. We have only eaten out 3 times (Clarity loves her pizza for lunch) but otherwise have been cooking for ourselves taking advantage of the local cuisine. As we were driving through one of the neighboorhoods of Kapa'a the other day we saw a sign for fresh Ahi. We stopped in and were able to pick our own 12 pound fish straight from the cooler. After the fisherman cut the fish up for us we ended up with about 7 pounds of fish for $30. With out fresh pickins from the farm we have been well fed. Even so I have managed to lose 8 pounds to get back to my fighting weight of 175 pounds.

We found a nice secluded beach a short hike from our house the other day, we stayed there for a couple hours and never saw another person. While hiking down the bluff we ran into a beautiful parakeet that came flying over to us and vocalizing. We thought it must be a domestic pet that was coming over to see if it could score some food from us, so we dutifully offered up crackers and apples and whatever else we had. It didn't seem interested but kept flying closer to us. After snapping a few photos the girls headed down to the beach and I packed up the camera equipment. After slinging my pack and heading down the trail, I felt a rush of air past my head and soon realized that I was being parakeet dive bombed. After several more passes I ran ducking and screaming out of the jungle to safety of the open beach. Luckily we found another way home and didn't have to brave the killer bird. I felt like the knights in Monty Python and Holy Grail when they encountered
The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog (link included if you need a laugh).

It's been nice getting some color back to skin, as well as some moisture. At Kealia beach yesterday we got to watch some really good surfers catch some impressive waves. We also watched a stand up paddler catching waves, that looked like a lot of fun. I think at this point in my life learning to surf probably isn't going to happen, but the stand up paddle boarding looked like something I would like to try. I have been struggling to learn to boogie board while here which, if you are like me, doesn't seem like it should be rocket science, but I have been getting pummeled. After watching a bunch of kids easily catch wave after wave I finally approached someone about just why I was having so much trouble. He took one look at my board and told me I was trying to ride a childrens board, which explains a lot. Once I'm able to move my upper body again I'll have to rent a real boogie board and try it again.
We've been watching the Fairbanks weather forecast and aren't looking forward to returning to the negative 20s, but at least there will be much more daylight. Well, I'd better post this or it will never get done. Hope everyone is doing well.
No comments:
Post a Comment