Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We're Out


Sunrise and Sunset

We have been loving the increasing sunlight and temporarily warmer temps in Fairbanks (although now we are back in the -30s).  We can see Denali from our house and lately have been seeing the most incredible "fata morgana" optical illusions at sunset (you can kind of see it in the second photo).  Three weeks to go and the packing and moving routine has begun yet again.  I think we have become pretty good at it, although being good doesn't mean it's that much fun.  This relocation should be pretty easy, a totally reasonable 9:00 am flight into Portland, few days of family time with my kin then it's off to Colorado.  Michelle and Clarity are going to fly to her dad's and I am going to do a 2 day powerdrive to reconnect in Salida, Colorado.  After a much needed mini-vacation we will head to Greeley to start our new 3 month life there.  Don't have a lot of expectations, just want to get somewhere with some fresh produce and a little more sunlight for a while.  Also looking forward to a nice spring in the front range and being able to visit with some of Michelle's family. 
Sledding and Gnomes - This is My Life

All in all I would give Fairbanks a thumbs up, lots of great people, lots of weird people (not sure where we fit in here), but we grew so immensely as a family that it will always have a special place in our hearts.  We will miss many things and many people, haven't totally ruled out a return visit (though sure as hell not during the winter ; ) 


 We had quite a return visit to Alaska, reconnecting with places and people in southcentral Alaska and celebrating Clarity's birthday in the same town (Gustavus, AK) that I popped the question to Michelle 5 years ago.  We are excited to begin a new chapter.  You know us, we can't let ourselves get too settled.

And Peterson family, if you actually read this blog, we are truly sorry but it seems likely that unless they are about to unveil the first transporter in Fairbanks we will not be able to make it to Anchorage to meet little Tre.  We will have to reserve our first encounter for a time when he is drooling less and I likely drooling more (well, hopefully not that long).  Enjoy that little person and take lots of video.

Peace. 

2 comments:

Gran said...

The gnomes are amazing. I'm very impressed. Our little Clarity is getting to have so many adventures. What a lucky little girl.

packmember said...

Petersons are bummed but we understand. We plan on holding it against you for a while. Not too long. Good luck on your next adventure! I'm so glad I got to live next door to you for a while last summer.